4.9 MEDICATION FOR GRIEVING RELATIVES
- Distraught relatives may be administered a single
dose of a sedating medication as considered to be appropriate by the
- Only non-narcotic medications may be prescribed in
- The physician is responsible for all aspects of the
prescription as he/she would be for in-patient prescriptions.
- Writes an order for a single dose of an appropriate
medication in the physician's orders of the chart belonging to the
patient of the distraught relative. The order will include the name
of the relative, the drug name, strength, dose, route, and
indication for use.
- Administers medication from ward supply or from
pharmacy (as a personal prescription).